Big Toe Joint PainMost causes of soreness or pain at or around the big toe joint can be successfully and effectively managed by a Podiatrist.
BIG TOE JOINT PAIN
There are many different unique causes for pain to occur at the big toe joint that can often be effectively managed once an accurate diagnosis has been made. If you are suffering with soreness at or around your big toe joint, it is important to see a Podiatrist to ensure that your big toe pain is diagnosed correctly so effective treatment can be provided.
CAUSES & SYMPTOMS OF BIG TOE JOINT PAIN
- Sesamoiditis often begins as a dull aching pain underneath the big toe joint and can progress to be much more painful to the point it can be difficult to weight-bear on the area underneath the big toe joint. Sesamoiditis is common in active people involved in running sports but also in people who spend long hours on their feet. Runners who run with a forefoot strike can also be more prone to this condition than people who run with a mid-foot or rear foot striking pattern.
- Turf toe, is caused by a straining or a spraining of the ligaments that support the big toe joint. Pain may start suddenly with a high force injury and may result in swelling and sharp pain within the joint or in some cases the pain may start more gradually and progress to be more painful.
- Bunion (hallux abducto valgus) is a term used to describe the alignment of the big toe and the development of a hard bony bump that grows outwards from the big toe joint. Bunion pain is typically located on the outside aspect of the joint or within the joint and may also travel into the arch of the foot. For more information and treatment options for bunions please see our page relating to bunions.
- Hallux limitus is the name given by Podiatrists and health care professionals used to describe limited or painful restricted range of movement within the big toe joint. Pain associated with hallux limitus often starts as a dull ache within the joint. The pain may progress to a point that the pain feels sharp or a clicking sensation is felt within the joint.
- Hallux rigidus is a more severe form of hallux limitus and is the complete/near complete loss of movement in the big toe joint. Soreness in the big toe joint is associated with hallux rigidus.
- Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis can affect the big toe joints making movement of the joints painful.
- Gout frequently affects the big toe joint and causes a significant amount of pain for a period of two – three weeks. The joint will often become red, hot, swollen and extremely painful. Gout is an inflammatory arthritis that affects men more frequently than woman. It is caused by high levels of uric acid within the blood, which leads to deposits of uric crystals around the joint.It is important to seek assessment and treatment from a health care professional if you are affected by gout.
TREATMENT FOR BIG TOE JOINT PAIN
Once an accurate diagnosis of the cause of your big toe joint pain, our Podiatrists will implement a treatment plan that addresses the cause as well as manages the pain you are experiencing from your specific condition. Surgery is often not required to manage big toe pain.
At Showgrounds Village Podiatry we often incorporate several different methods listed below in our treatment plans for big toe pain:
- Footwear advice and education
- Massage and foot mobilisation techniques used with the aim of helping restore pain free range of motion
- Dry needling
- Off loading using temporary or permanent in-shoe padding
- CAM Walker boot for short term embolization of the joint
- Supportive strapping/taping of the foot
- Anti-inflammatory medication or a cortisone injection to reduce inflammation in more severe cases.
- Surgery is infrequently required to manage big toe joint pain. Surgery is only required when conservative treatment options have not been successful or are not appropriate. Our Podiatrist’s can help you decide if surgery is appropriate for you. At Showgrounds Village Podiatry we have close referring networks with the best foot and ankle surgeons across Melbourne.
HELPING YOU ACHIEVE YOUR BEST RESULTS & KEEPING YOU ON THE MOVE
We listen to you, we work with you, and we design a treatment plan that meets your individual needs
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Showgrounds Village Podiatry is committed to delivering high quality podiatry health care to our patients. Our podiatrists achieve the best results by working with you to develop a tailored treatment plan that meets your needs and allows you to get back to living your life the way you want. Flemington podiatry (foot clinic) within a short distance of Moonee Ponds